Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The Daily Munchies “In the Loop” didn’t keep me in it


Posted by Luke

In the Loop is a comedy that almost all the critics seem to love. But this crude independent satire did not do it for me. In the Loop is directed by Armando Iannucci and was written by Jesse Armstrong and Simon Blackwell. The script is based on the BBC TV mini series The Thick of It and features a vast ensemble cast from Tom Hollander to James Gandolfini.

Let me make this absolutely clear: I love dark comedies and well-made satires. Perhaps it is just me, but I found it tremendously difficult to track each of the characters with the comedy’s sly adult humor. For me, it frankly did not work. Yes, there are a few funny jokes here and there, and a good deal of nasty language for a kick, but the creators failed to make sure the audience would be able to follow each character. It was not the actors’ fault at all; the writing and editing just did not work.
If you want to see a movie that succeeds in this genre, pick up a copy of Stanley Kubrick’s Dr. Strangelove. Kubrick’s masterpiece will not let you down. So just pop in the DVD and save 12 bucks. [end]

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails