Thursday, August 20, 2009

Top-10 Romantic Comedies


Posted by Luke

Okay, I love romantic comedies. I do. Yes, I watch them alone too. I’m writing this because of the several romantic comedies released this summer from (500) Days of Summer to The Ugly Truth. All right, now that I have admitted this, I can tell you some of my favorites in this genre.

Don’t get mad at me because I have not seen “The Philadelphia Story” or some other classics – this list is based on my non-scientific sample. In addition, I cannot stand Matthew “I always take my shirt off for every scene even if it is a heavy depressing drama such as Schindler’s List where thousands of people are getting murdered each day especially in the scene with the girl in the red in a pile of dead people” McConaughey. Sorry everyone, his movies will not be on this list.

You will see that some of the same names of people either behind the camera or in front of the camera keep getting mentioned on this Top 10 list. Of course, how can you write about romantic comedies without mentioning Woody Allen or the present-day Queen of romantic comedies, Norah Ephron? Then there are the actors such as the Brit master of this genre Hugh Grant and the used-to-be-so-amazingly beautiful Meg Ryan (why get work done?) and two-time co-star Tom Hanks. Those guys have to be on the list. But enough of me writing on and on; here is the list.

Enjoy and if you disagree please comment. I will be ready to defend my list till death.



1. When Harry Met Sally – The writing, the directing, and the great moments between Meg Ryan and Billy Crystal. Here is one of my many favorite lines from the movie -

Harry Burns: You know, you may be the first attractive woman I've not wanted to sleep with in my entire life.

Sally Albright: That's wonderful, Harry.

2. Love, Actually – This movie makes me laugh and cry so damn much. Truth, I can watch it every day.

3. Annie Hall – One of Woody’s best films.

4. Some like it Hot – Norma Jean. Jack Lemmon. Tony Curtis. Billy Wilder. What could be better?

5. Manhattan - Another great Woody film. However, Woody’s character seems a little creepy considering his personal life.

6. Sleepless in Seattle – Ephron wrote and directed this clever film. Meg and Tom’s first film together.

7. Notting Hill – Hugh Grant and cast are just great. Spike is classic!

8. You’ve Got Mail – Another Ephron, Meg and Tom collaboration.

9. Don Juan de Marco – Johnny Depp and Marlon Brando together. Trivia Time! Do not look on IMDB, because I know you will. What movie did they both star in together that was never realeased?

10. Four Weddings and a Funeral - Young Hugh in the film that started his career as one of the best romantic comedy actors around.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Luke,

    I also commented on Rusty's post - what about Serendipity and the more recent Four Christmases? These were both good I thought. Another new one worth watching now that I think about it is The Ugly Truth, but I don't know if that one would be worthy of the top ten list.

    -Rach

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails